The September Savings

This post is kind of word-heavy, but I hope you'll read it all. It' something that's important to me and might be important to you.
I'm usually not the type to jump on the bandwagon and join a cause. I definitely like getting behind something and supporting it, but if in general tons of people are doing something it looses its appeal to me.

With that said I want to share something with you.  The entire month of September I am going on a shopping ban.  Here is what is being banned: any type of clothing or accessory.  What I can buy is anything for the apartment (it's not even furnished at this point and me and my roommates are all splitting the costs , any school related costs (like textbooks, etc), food, etc.

Basically the point is this: avoid any unnecessary and frivolous purchases. I want to instill some self discipline in my life in the area of shopping.  Lately it's gotten a little out of hand and I really don't like that...at all. I have tons of other financial responsibilities (like school, car, holidays, apartment related things, and more much) to pay for so it makes sense to just make a conscious effort to not buy anything clothing or accessory related during the month of September.

If you want to join me in this effort then you can, but I'm not forming any kind of organized group. This is something that's personal to me and a personal decision. I'm not creating a movement or trying to get something started, but I just want to share with you that I'm just a college girl on a budget trying to look good and feel good while being financially wise. However if you feel the need to participate in your own shopping ban, leave a comment below telling me what you're choosing to ban for the month of September.

This is something that's going to be really hard for me - especially when I see a sale.  It's SO hard for me to pass up a good sale.  But I'm going to try my best at this shopping ban. I hope to learn how to control my money and when to purchase and when not to purchase.

If you've gotten this far in the reading, thank you. I truly appreciate you taking the time to read a post that doesn't have many pictures (I rarely do it myself!). And with that I'm off to start my first spend-free day!

11 comments

  1. Ooooh I'm currently waying up whether I could do this or not. I really would like to... hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great challenge, and you'll have fun remixing your wardrobe! I wish you the best of luck. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend and I are doing a month long shopping ban as well, with the exception of 5 "necessary" purchases off of lists that we made at the beginning of the ban. We started on Aug. 20 and will go to Sept. 20. So far it's going great, I even got rid of three entire bags of clothes! Not shopping has really made me think of all the crap I don't need! And it's helping me make smart decisions about shopping - it's so much easier to say NO when you just don't have a choice. Good luck, Chaucee!

    http://stylewaistland.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i personally love WORD HEAVY posts :). feel free to unload ANYTIME you'll have at least one faithful follower ready to respond!! haha

    seriously I appreciate your honesty. i struggle with money management and have horrible credit and even checking and savings credit :(... yeah and I don't turn 21 until sept 20th either. My money goes to EXPENSIVE FOOD.. should i ban eating out???

    how hard would that be though for a college student to not eat out?? hmm.. what do you think?? I am so down but I'd need support lol or encouragement.. I'm really going to pray on it now that I've typed it into LIFE..

    thanks for the share :)!!!!!

    ♥cheche

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I think it's always good to occasionally step back from spending and only stick to the necessities to make sure spending stays in check. As much as ads/commercials try to convince you otherwise you don't always need to go out and purchase the next 'new thing.' Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i attempeted to do this for the month of august; i did pretty well until the last week when i broke down & bought a few things @ f21. buutt at least i didn't spend alot!

    good luck to you :)

    <3 gina

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is something I've been considering doing too. I'm in the middle of a major closet clean out right now. I may put myself on a weekly budget of $10-15, or I may do a complete ban.We'll see! I commend you for taking on such a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chaucee! I'm actually doing the exact same thing this month! I'm nervous since I am a shopaholic, but it will be nice to have the extra cash and really take the time to utilize the massive amount of clothing I already own. Good luck to us! ;)
    xo - Katrina
    sparkleisacolor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you! I am so going to join you on this. It is so difficult for me to pass up a good sale as well but I am going to do it this month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you girl!!! I'm looking around at the piles of clothes from the recent move, just waiting to be hung up or put away (but where??) and get sick to my stomach at the thought of the money I've spent trying to fill some sort of void in my life. I think it is great that you are taking a step back and getting some perspective. I loved your post, you are very talented in getting your thoughts out :) I'm pulling for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is good. Thanks for the challenging post. This past week, I was thinking pretty heavily about how much I eat out. I was feeling guilty over it. I cook dinner most every night, but my hubby takes me to work - we stop for breakfast and then for lunch later. I know if I stop at least one of those, we will save a lot. So thanks for posting this challenge. I'm glad I read it b/c now it confirms that I should and can cut back on things (which includes clothing purchases as well).

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from you!

© Streets and Stripes
Maira Gall