Meet Kelly Ann

I. Want. To. Be. Kelly. Ann. When. I. Grow. Up.
Yes this blog crush is that bad. Ladies & gents (are there any gents who read this blog anyways?) This has been wayy over due. I want to introduce to you Kelly Ann of The Flower Child Dwelling
This beautiful young lady is one of my most favorite bloggers.  A while back I was having some boy problems (raise your hands if you hear me!) and she was such a dear friend in emailing me back and forth great advice and encouraging words. Not only is she a true lady, but she is BEYOND talented.  Not only is she a talented photographer, but she runs a full time blog (chaulk FULL of inspiration) and also does design!  Now you understand why I want to be just like her when I grow up.
How did you get into blogging?
I've had some sort of online journal since I was 13 years old - Xanga, LiveJournal, you name it, I had it! I started a Blogspot when I was in college as a place for me to share all of the things that inspire me... it was like a little escape for me during the super stressful times at school. I had no idea it would turn into something that is such a huge part of my life. I feel so fortunate to share my world with so many of you incredible people, and the opportunities that have been placed in my lap because of blogging have been absolutely amazing.

Click on the link to continue reading...

Coffee or tea?
I love both! However, I drink coffee more frequently. (as in, every day;)) My favourite way to drink coffee is with Alta Dena's organic vanilla flavoured half&half. So good, try it! For tea, I like it with a little almond milk and organic agave sweetener.

What does a normal day look like for you?
Oh boy, here goes! Being a freelance photographer and designer, I get to create my own hours and my own work schedule, which is really nice... I feel incredibly blessed, because not everyone gets that kind of freedom. I'm not a morning person, so it usually takes me a while to fully wake up... I go straight to the coffee maker. ;) I check my emails, write a to-do list, and do some blog reading. I usually check tumblr and pinterest, too, to gain some inspiration for future blog posts, photo sessions, and design projects. 

If it's a design day, I get straight to work sketching out a design for a client and gathering ideas... I usually work on that for most of the day. If it's a photography day, I don't start on a shoot until the "golden hour", when the light is perfect and the sun is low in the sky... when I get home, I immediately back up my work and start editing. 

In the evening I hang out with family and friends... sometimes I'll attend a film screening or a film premiere in L.A. - which is a blast and such a privilege to be around so many creative individuals. (I was a film major in college, I live for the art of film!) 

Before bed, I get my blog post(s) ready for the next day, do some more catch-up on emails/blogs/social media, edit more photos, and watch a little conan and late night with jimmy fallon. :) and sometimes I'll catch up on some of my favourite tv shows. (like Modern Family & How I Met Your Mother) I'm incredibly nocturnal... it's not uncommon for me to stay up into the wee hours of the night working on something, it's when I feel most inspired!
How did you learn so much about photography?
I've been fascinated with photographs since I was a kid, I would sit and look through pictures for hours. My sophomore year in college, I took a black and white film photography class... I had the most amazing professor ever, he poured so much of his time and energy into everyone in the class and really made us love it. We learned everything, including how to develop film, make prints, basically everything we needed to know about working in the darkroom. After we developed our first roll of film and he looked at our proofs, he told me that I had a really good eye and that I should nurture that and explore photography more... and it totally lit a fire under me! I took one more class with him... and I was off running. I know I still have a long way to go, and I'm far from being advanced... but I love what I do, and I think that's all that matters.

What is one tradition you love doing?
Disneyland trips! I live 15 minutes away and it's one of my favourite places in the world. My parents used to take me weekly when I was growing up, and it was always so special. This tradition carried on into my teen years and my adult life, as well. In college, my best friends and I went almost every single Friday! Disneyland feels like home to me, and instantly brings me back to my childhood. I've made it a goal to pass this on to my future children... I have so many amazing memories at such an incredible, heartwarming place, and I want them to have that, too.


Thanks Kelly Ann for such an awesome interview! 
Visit: The Flower Child Dwelling

No comments

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

© Streets and Stripes
Maira Gall