Shabbat Dinner

I thought that since it being Friday and all I'll share with you what my Friday night's look like now that I'm living in Israel. Every Friday on campus we have Shabbat dinner. Shabbat is a weekly observance holiday for the Jewish people (you can read more about it here).

About a week ago we got some fresh flowers which was such a treat! Flowers are pretty hard to come by in this land and cost a pretty penny. It's much easier to find rocks and dirt. But to celebrate the beginning of Spring I took some pictures.
This is the challah bread and the candles.
The sun was just stunning that day. I love that when Shabbat comes around (from Friday at sundown to Saturday at sundown) everything is closed and it's genuinely time you spend at home with your family and friends. It's completely refreshing since I come from a culture that sucks every minute out of you (Hello, America!).

It took me a little while to make the switch from Sunday being the holy day to Friday night to Saturday night being the holy day, but now that I have it down it feels totally natural and I look forward to it! Here in Israel all the shops and public transportation clears out around 2pm. It will certainly take some getting used to when I come back to the States and see everything open on Friday evenings!

No comments

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

© Streets and Stripes
Maira Gall