The Spring Garden Flea Market

This past Saturday I wandered over to the Spring Garden Flea Market. The only information I had was that it was held at the old Philadelphia Fedex location on 9th and Spring Garden. But what I found was a treasure trove of the most beautiful antique jewelry and whimsical vintage toys, magazines and paraphernalia. It truly, and sentimentally, reminded me of the world famous weekend antique markets on Portabello Road in London.
One vendor sold vintage watches for $3 each, most of which were more unique than any designs I've seen before. I ended up picking up quite a few, all of which I plan to give as Christmas gifts. My favorite purchase was a choker necklace threaded with gold, mesh daisies that came with a matching clip-on earring set: all for $7!

Each vendor prides them self as a professional antique dealer, and it shows in their items. The most impressive (and costly) piece I saw was a bracelet adorned with miniature clay figurines; a beautiful import from Italy. But there was no shortage of affordable baubles.

Don't fret if you missed the market: Spring Garden Flea is held every other Saturday at 820 Spring Garden St. Visit http://www.philafleamarkets.org for scheduling and more details.

Photography & Words by Marissa Oswald

No comments

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

© Streets and Stripes
Maira Gall