Photography 101

Photo from this post.

Photography is a big part of Streets & Stripes. I'm a full time freelance photographer and love being able to incorporate what I do here on the blog with creating unique, orignal content for you.  I get a lot of emails with questions about photography, from technical questions, to questions of how I got started, and because people seem to be interested, I'd like to share some of what I know!



Photo from this post.

This new series will address everything from lighting, to composition, editing, lingo, equipment and more. It will stay on the simplistic side (since I'm not interested in designing a full-fledge course) but hopefully you'll be able to learn something new and improve your own photography. But for now I’d like to share with you about how I got into photography.


Photo from this post.

It's actually a pretty accidental beginning! About 5 years ago in 2008 (around the same time I started Streets & Stripes) I had a friend in college named Sarah. And Sarah had this camera…a Canon Rebel XSI. Not the most impressive camera from a professional point of view, but the sound of the shutter had me hooked. Later that year my parents gave me a Canon Rebel XSI for an upcoming trip to Israel I was taking with my college class. From there it was no looking back. On my trip I took on average 1,500 photos a day. In 2009 I booked my first wedding. I shot it for $300 and it was a complete learning experience. I was smitten. The next year I was shooting more portraits and more weddings while I still working on completing my degree.


Photo from this post.

I had tossed around the idea of transferring to an art school, but after recovering from the shock of the price of tuition at U of Arts in downtown Philadelphia, I decided to stay where I was and finish my degree since I was already booking paid shoots already.


Photo from this post.

Streets & Stripes has given me the opportunity to produce new images and content each week. I think this blog has been instrumental in my journey as a photographer. Just promise me you won't go back and look at all the old posts circa 2008 ;P Those are buried in the archives for a reason, ha!


Photo from this post.

So tell me, how did you get into photography? Why are you interested in photography?

Photography by Chaucee Stillman
Words by Chaucee Stillman
First published on www.streetsandstripes.com

No comments

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

© Streets and Stripes
Maira Gall