I grew up calling cinnamon rolls "sticky buns". Anyone else with me, or is this just a Lancaster thing? Either way, it's national vegan month and I wanted to make some delicious sticky buns that taste just how I remember growing up...but dairy-free. This recipe is based on the recipe from Minimalist Baker but with slight tweaks here and there. But really, either recipe works just the same. I may have went a little crazy with the icing, but that's just how I like 'em : )
Vegan Sticky Buns Directions
You'll need: Earth Balance butter, almond milk, cinnamon, sugar, all purpose flour, active yeast
- In a pot, melt 4 tbsp of Earth Balance and 1 cup of almond milk. Make sure it doesn't reach boiling!
- Once melted, remove the pot from the heat. It should be warm, not hot, otherwise it will kill the yeast.
- Pour the milk and butter into a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on 2 1/4oz of active yeast (or 1 packet of active yeast). Let this sit for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to active.
- Then add in 1 tbsp of sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt, stir.
- Next add in the 3 cups of all purpose flour by pouring it in 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go.
- Once you've added in all the flour remove it from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for about a minute or so, forming a loose ball.
- Rinse the mixing bowl and lightly line the inside of the bowl with vegetable.
- Place the dough (in a small ball shape) inside the bowl, and cover with saran wrap.
- Put this in a warm spot for 1 hour (or until the dough doubles in shape).
- After 1 hour, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a thin and large rectangle shape.
- Brush the dough with 2 tbsp of Earth Balance butter and top with raw sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Tightly roll the dough up from one side to the other. Face the seam downwards and then cut the roll into sections and place then into a 8x8 glass pan.
- Melt 1 tbsp of Earth Balance butter and brush overtop the sticky buns in the glass pan. Put plastic wrap over top it while you are waiting for the oven to heat up.
- Heat the over to 350 degrees then cook for 25 minutes (make sure to remove the plastic wrap!).
Vegan Cream Cheese Directions
You'll need: Earth Balance butter, almond milk, vanilla extract, sugar
Whisk together 4 tbsp of Earth Balance butter and 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk. Add in 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract and whisk. Then add in 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup at a time, until desired sweetness and thickness.