12 Inspiring Memoirs Written By Women


Today is International Women's Day. Being a woman is a complicated and beautiful thing. While I have a lot of thoughts and emotions to discuss on the topic, I wanted to focus on a way to honor women who have made a difference in my life. 

First and foremost the women in my family have altered my life forever. My grandmother taught me how to be faithfully patient and compassionate, my mother taught me to find value in myself from her unending love, and my sisters teach me each day what a joy it is to have the bond of female friendship. 


As you know, I am a bit of a book nerd with my favorite genre being memoirs. So in honor of International Women's Day here is a list of 12 memoirs written by women that have either made me laugh, cry, altered my world view, inspired me, or all over the above.

  1. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert reminded me once again there is beauty in heartbreak. While not a fan of the movie, I hands down recommend this book.
  2. A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout (you can read my review here)
  3. The Diary Of A Young Girl by Anne Frank
  4. Not That Kind Of Girl by Lena Dunham
  5. Brain on Fire by Susannah Cahalan
  6. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. Also have you read her other book?
  7. Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen
  8. Wild by Cheryl Strayed (you can read my review here)
  9. Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas
  10. Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay
  11. Orange Is The New Black by Piper Kerman - This is another instance in where the on air Orange is the New Black is completely different than the book. While the TV show is entertaining and interesting, the book really showed a different side of life in a woman's prison.

No comments

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

© Streets and Stripes
Maira Gall