5 Great Podcasts For Podcast Newbs

I'm hooked on podcasts. I know I'm super late to the game, so this list is more for the podcast newbie. A podcast pool to dip your toes in, if you will...


One great thing about podcasts is that you can download them to your phone via the Podcast app that's a standard app on all iPhones (sorry Android users, yours is a world I don't understand). So you can listen to podcasts even without cell service. It's great for traveling, especially plane rides or long car trips! Here are a few of my favorite...

Serial
I am HOOKED on Serial you guys (who isn't?!). This is quite possibly one of my favorite podcasts of all time. One story told week by week, Serial dives into the 1999 murder case of Hae Min Lee, a popular high-school senior at Woodland High in Baltimore. One day she disappears after school and six weeks later her ex-boyfriend Adnan Syed was arrested for her murder. He says he's innocent, others say he's not. There are more holes in this conviction than swiss cheese. Captivating and compelling you'll only want more and more of this podcast hosted by Sarah Koenig. Right now you can access all of the podcasts from Season 1 for free, and Season 2 is coming some time in 2015.

Undisclosed

After finishing Serial I went through major withdraw. I wanted answers, needed more information! Undisclosed picks up where Serial left off. They go back through the facts, digging up more information, offering up more interviews.

Fresh Air

One thing you should know about the podcast world is that Terry Gross is a legend. Fresh Air from WHYY is an award winning week day podcast that features contemporary arts and issues. It's one of public radio's most popular programs. Terry's intimate and investigative journalistic style digs deep into the issues, talking with the most interesting "luminaries" of today.


This American Life
True stories of every day lives, This American Life is a weekly podcast that has a different theme each week. One of my most recent favorites was the Birds & the Bees podcast.

Mortified

We all have embarrassing stories. Through Mortified we get to hear the awkward and uncomfortably hilarious embarrassing stories of others. Diaries, poems, letters, you name it. I love listening to this podcast when I need a good laugh!

Radio Lab
First off, Jad Abumrad's voice is probably my favorite on radio. I don't know why...it's just so easy to listen to! This podcast is one of my top favorites since it tells the stories of every day people. It's where "Where sound illuminates ideas, and the boundaries blur between science, philosophy, and human experience." You can listen to a bunch of their podcasts online, so you better get started!

No comments

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

© Streets and Stripes
Maira Gall