Style Files: Just Thinking...

*Note - For the first time in a long time I decided to write down something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I usually don't write wordy posts so feel free to skip this one and just look at the pictures if you prefer.
I don’t think I’ve created a proper blog post in a long time. I used to blog about feelings rather than about mundane days. But recently that’s all I can think of to offer.

Knowing that people I interact with outside of the internet and see in every day life read this blog, puts some restrictions on what I write. Now let me explain that. I’ve never used a blog to be miserly or write things about people that I hope never gets discovered. Instead I used it as a place to write down what I was feeling and to sort through mixed emotions. But there’s a sort of vulnerability in that.
I am by nature, a reserved person when it comes to connecting deeply with other people. I choose to have a few kindred friends rather than a collection. The reason for this is that I just don’t think I could properly invest myself in 10 or 15 people as a kindred friend should.
But having a blog is like pouring yourself out there and not knowing anything about who is reading it. It’s a frightening and rash thing to do when I think about it. There are some people who you choose to invite in and some people who just don’t share that connection. It’s not because of anything they’ve done or any of that nonsense, it’s just that I am the kind of person to have maybe 5 really close friends and that’s it. So perhaps this is why I have held back here on Streets and Stripes. Even this post is on the chopping blog to be deleted a later date.
So when do you draw the line? I keep a personal journal as well as this blog here and I like to think of them as having two different purposes. The personal journal I take to when I have something to say to sort out my inner thoughts. This blog is purely about style, documenting a journey and making friends. I’m not even sure why I’m writing this post. I think it’s because I see tons of other bloggers getting quite personal on their blogs and I feel guilty by not doing so. But perhaps that’s just a showcase of different and various personalities.

So now I’d like to hear your opinion.
What do you think about sharing your life on the internet?
How far is too far?
What about a concern for safety?

It’s all these things and more that I think about. I also think about my ability to express myself with words. I used to write all the time. All the time. Why have I stopped? I almost feel as if I don't quite know my full self anymore.

No comments

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

© Streets and Stripes
Maira Gall