Thoughts on Moving, Colorado and Family


Lots of change has been happening over here. My family is moving out west to Colorado next week and I’ve been feeling waves of emotions about it. The house I grew up in has been sold, and everyone dear to me is moving exactly 1,877 miles away. Change has always been hard for me, big or small, and this one has been weeks of ups and downs. 


I’m also moving into a few phase in life: home ownership. Yup, that’s right, I’m planning on buying a house in the Fishtown neighborhood of Philadelphia. Parts of me feel crazy and parts of me feel like this is the right next step. I just never imagined doing it alone. But going through this process has taught me a lot about trusting myself, standing up for my opinions, and figuring out what I want for my life. 


I haven’t had much time to photograph and blog with all that’s going on. Things with work are always busy during the summer and trying to plan some time off can be a headache and create a mounting to do list to get everything accomplished before I leave. 


Being separated by six states from my biggest support system is intimidating. Especially as I buy my first home. I wish my Mom could be there to help me decorate and make my place feel like home. I wish my Dad could be on hand to teach me how to fix and maintain issues that come up when owning a home. I wish they could be there for my very first house-warming party. It's all the little things that add up and make me feel nostalgic. 


But still, I got it pretty good. Change is never that fun, and anxiety really sucks. 


But if all else fails I’ll just move to Colorado : ) 

No comments

Post a Comment

We love hearing from you!

© Streets and Stripes
Maira Gall